Author Topic: Books <3  (Read 8972 times)

Offline tahoe

Re: Books <3
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2016, 12:01:50 PM »
I read a book that is only available in Swedish and named Sekten på Dimön. It is about how easy it is to become embroiled in a sect or closed group or whatever you want to call it. I have always wondered how people can get involved in something like that. My aunt said it would never happen to her but she was a Jehovah's Witness.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 11:15:25 AM by tahoe »

Offline Marioneve

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
I've been reading Wallander books by Henning Mankell (still waiting for the last two of them being translated into Czech language). The BBC series starring Kenneth Branagh were brilliant, but the books are really the best.

Offline Breila

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2016, 09:25:58 PM »
At the moment I'm re-reading Harry Potter, my depression has been bad, and it helps. But I also love crime novels and classics. So Sherlock Holmes is a firm favourite, covering BOTH those categories. I'm also a sucker for Jane Austen.  :flowheartpink

Offline lorijune

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2016, 09:35:57 PM »
Just finished a young adult book, "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs.  A movie based on the book is coming out in the theater in the fall and I wanted to read the book first.  The second and third books in the series are on hold at the library to be picked up this week!

Offline Breila

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2016, 09:37:24 PM »
It's a series?! I just saw the trailer, and it looks so good, and I really want to get the books, but can't afford them atm, and can't get to the library. Worth saving up for, is it? :D

Offline lorijune

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2016, 01:03:27 AM »
Breila: My dad volunteers at the local library and he gets whatever books I want for me!  I'm spoiled and blessed.  However, I am purchasing the books to send to my son-in-law for his birthday as our reading tastes are very similar (less than $30 total for the paperbacks, free shipping through Amazon.) Even the  boxed set of hardback books is not much more, but he hates the weight of hardback books.  I would highly recommend this series of books!

Offline Louma

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2016, 08:37:41 PM »
now, i am about to be done with the third book in the Divergent trio by Veronica Roth. it has been a really nice one .. some times i like to read fiction stuff that takes you away from this world.
before that i discovered Mitch Albom :D and i enjoyed lots of his wise books...

Offline Carrie

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2016, 11:34:47 PM »
My mom just recently gave me a book called Painting By Cats. It's amazing! I really suggest it.
 kittymeowee

Offline minena

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2016, 02:53:05 AM »
ok, books...right now I am reading James Patterson series on Micheal Bennett, on 2nd in series of 8. Have read all of Lee Childs Jack Reacher series. Read a 5 book series, sci-fi, by Jeffrey Carver, The Star Rigger series. I have a book on my tablet, and 2 hardbacks waiting in the wings. It is not unusual for me to have 2 or 3 books going at once. Oh, I also have  a Steven King I started but its kind of historical-ish and I'm not in the mood right now for it, so it sits in the wings waiting. When in the mood, I am quite a voracious reader.

I read mystery, sci-fi, fantasy mostly.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:55:41 AM by minena »

The following users thanked this post: Carrie

The following users thanked this post: Carrie

Online Karlene

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2016, 05:16:55 PM »
I'm reading David Weber's Safehold series, on book 3 of 6; These are Sci-fi/fantasy and really good! Before that series I read a couple of Nora Roberts novels, and before that the 6 book series by Jim Butcher, his Codex Alera one...SO GREAT!!! I gulped down book 3 in 2 days (more than 6oo pages!) I read every day on my lunch break at work and on the way home from work, I never don't have a book or two that I'm currently reading! I get so into whatever I'm reading that if someone talks to me, I get irritated when I'm interrupted or I never hear them, and they get mad at me! lolhippo

Offline Shine Waterice

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2016, 05:50:38 PM »
I'm currently reading Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson. Here you can find more information about the book.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:52:27 PM by Shine Waterice »

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2016, 05:42:45 PM »
ROOM by Emma Donoghue is amazing, it takes some getting used to because its in the view point of a little boy but its so lovely and emotional and they've also made it into a film of the same name. Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay are amazing in it.

The following users thanked this post: Betsy4Arts

Offline Pearlie

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »
I love the books from Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

Offline Toadflax

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2017, 07:40:17 AM »
Just read a couple by Kelley Armstrong in her Cainsville series, and now reading The Forest Garden Greenhouse: How to Design and Manage an Indoor Permaculture Oasis. It has pretty pictures.

Offline nayahn

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
Summer is just round the corner so let me give some suggesstions for a book too! These are my favorites
Adventure/thriller: Foucault's pendulum by Umberto Eco. Don't let the 1200 pages scare you away from reading it. The plot and the writting keeps your interest in every page.
drama: Ugly by Constance Briscoe. the true story of a child that grew up with a mom that hated her!
romance: The thread by Victoria Hislop The story of two lovers in one of the most beautiful greek cities, Thessaloniki, in the course of a 20th century
historical: In the garden of beasts bt Eric Larson. Sadly it is very topical theme these days. The rise of the Hitler's regime, through the eyes of the American Ambassador's family.
revenge/comedy. Got you back by Jane Fallon. A cheated heartbroken wife takes revenge.