Author Topic: Books <3  (Read 8839 times)

Offline Shine Waterice

Re: Books <3
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 05:47:40 PM »
After having finished reading Firelight and Vanish by Sophie Jordan, I'm currently reading 16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie Macomber.

Offline Betsy4Arts

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 10:21:11 PM »
I'm a stephen king fan as well as the fire & ice series. I can't wait until November when King releases another book of short stories. At the moment, I am reading my first Terry Pratchett book and must say that they are different. I enjoy it but don't have that longing to curl up with it each night as I do so many other books. 
  Must admit that  Mrs.Poe, by Lynn Cullen intrigues me and might be my next book.I found a great site that has 25 scary short stories online that have been quite good: http://www.blastr.com/2013-10-17/25-scary-stories-stephen-king-and-other-great-horror-writers-you-can-read-now

The following users thanked this post: mama, retromaisie

The following users thanked this post: mama, retromaisie

Offline Ben Aligan 3

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 09:01:28 PM »
I'm currently reading Life After Death by Damien Echols who, as an 18yr old was sentenced to death and spent 18yrs on death row after being wrongly accused, along with two friends, of the murder of three eight year old boys in 1993 in Arkansas. All three of them were finally released in 2011. An insightful and compelling read.

Offline Shine Waterice

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 10:22:33 AM »
Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay is my current read. It's a different and interesting take on the famous Shakespeare story.

Offline mama

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 07:10:36 PM »
I'm a stephen king fan as well as the fire & ice series. I can't wait until November when King releases another book of short stories. At the moment, I am reading my first Terry Pratchett book and must say that they are different. I enjoy it but don't have that longing to curl up with it each night as I do so many other books. 
  Must admit that  Mrs.Poe, by Lynn Cullen intrigues me and might be my next book.I found a great site that has 25 scary short stories online that have been quite good: http://www.blastr.com/2013-10-17/25-scary-stories-stephen-king-and-other-great-horror-writers-you-can-read-now

Mrs. Poe:

When given bad news, most women of my station can afford to slump onto their divans, their china cps slipping from their fingers to the carpet, their hair falling prettily from its pins, their fourteen starched petticoats compactin with a plsh crunch. I am not one of them. As a lady whose husband is so busy painting portraits of wealthy patrons-most of whom happen to be women-that he forgets that he has a family, I have more in common with the girls who troll the muddy streets of Corlear's Hook, looking to part sailors from their dollars, than I do with the ladies of my class, in spite of my appearance.

The following users thanked this post: Betsy4Arts

The following users thanked this post: Betsy4Arts

Offline Dorrie

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 11:10:03 PM »
Always geeking out about Eoin Colfer's books, I also really love Emily St. John Mendel's Station Eleven; it's so wonderfully meta! 

The following users thanked this post: mama

The following users thanked this post: mama

Offline Babygoat

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 04:13:42 AM »
Currently Reading Kin By Kealan Patrick Burke, very disturbing book has made me jump quite a few times. ohreallyoo
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:29:04 AM by Babygoat »

Offline LaRei

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 08:34:22 PM »
I'm about to read The Purity Myth and I'm also reading the Jem and the Holograms comics from IDW.

Offline TwoFingersWhiskey

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 12:02:42 AM »
I'm currently waiting to read A Fatal Flame by Lyndsay Faye. Her first two books in this series are fantastic and I recommend them to anyone who wants a diverse mid-1800s series. It tackles a lot of issues such as the Irish Potato Famine, religious differences, the upcoming Civil War, sexuality, feminism, and other things. It's all through the view of a reluctant, disfigured, poor man who is forced to join the New York Copper Stars (their first police force) by his brother in order to keep a roof over his head, after his previous apartment burnt down in a large fire. Her latest book seems to centre around women's and working class rights and I absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on it. It's been out for a few months but I'm waiting on money to get it! It's a very intense series so if you're looking to think, pick this one. I've actually spoken with the author on Tumblr a few times and we've shared music recommendations. :)

The other book I've been reading is Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel which is a book about a virus which wiped out most of humanity, and the travelling thespians who go from town to town to try and preserve Shakespeare's works. It goes between that time and the times before the virus. All I can really say without spoiling it is that it's very inventive and you will find yourself absolutely lost in it.

Offline songib67

• Born in Boston Ma. Sims2 fan since the beginning.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2015, 01:08:42 AM »
Some of my favorite authors are Stephen King,Tess Gerritson, Dean Koontz. I recently got hooked on Robyn Carr.. she is a romance author.I am reading her Virgin Rivers series. There are 20 books in the series. I fell in love with the little town and all the characters. Have read 6 of 20 and I can't stop. Would love to find the town and move there!

Offline TwoFingersWhiskey

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 11:18:34 PM »
songib67, I absolutely ADORE King and Koontz. Have you ever read John Saul novels? They're in the same vein. I have so many books by these authors, my dad was a collector too.

Offline Gileswench

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 01:21:27 AM »
Taking a short break from Anthony Trollope and Jane Austen right now. So I'm heading into obsessed foodie land and re-reading Perfection Salad by Laura Shapiro with a side of Save the Deli by David Sax. The first is a history/feminist critique of the domestic science movement. The second is a history and appreciation of Jewish delis and a passionate plea for their continued existence. The hard part of it is that every time I open up the volume I develop a desperate urge to eat brisket and dill pickles.

In fact, I'm getting hungry writing this.

Oh, and having scored a decent reader's/cook's copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol. I by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, and Simone Beck for One Lousy Buck(!) over the weekend, I'm also reading a lot of recipes from that.

There's going to be good eating at Casa Wench now!
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so

Offline songib67

• Born in Boston Ma. Sims2 fan since the beginning.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 01:36:31 AM »
To TwoFingersWhiskey, I use to read John Saul years ago, sort of move away from him. It seems there are so many books and so little time.

Offline Betsy4Arts

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 11:59:17 PM »
I am so excited!   :yayoyay I just ordered 3 books from amazon: A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay {recommended by Stephen King },  Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel {thank you TwoFingersWhiskey} &  Mrs.Poe, by Lynn Cullen {Thank you Pam}!!! I can't wait to get my hands on them. I am having surgery in a month and will be flat in bed for awhile so I will be able to devour my new reads with no distractions or responsibilities!  :88:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:18:12 AM by Betsy4Arts »

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 07:41:04 PM »
I've read and re-read everything by Donna Tartt.