Author Topic: The site Patreon question......  (Read 266 times)

Offline miklin83

The site Patreon question......
« on: October 21, 2017, 10:08:59 PM »
Patreon.........Do we have to pay to get an item off of that site?  If not how do you get around that? Thanks
♥♥♥
~~ Excessive clutter collector~~
                                             ♥♥♥
                                                    Linda :)

Offline NuclearWaffles

Re: The site Patreon question......
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:00:06 AM »
It's different for everyone's Patreon.  It's not technically one site; it's a way for content creators of all sorts to get paid for what they create.  Some will require you pay a certain monthly amount for access to their items (becoming their patron) and some give things for free or specials.

Long story short, depends on the creator, but a lot of times, yes.  And the only way to get around it is to illegally download it or have someone who has it give it to you (which violates a lot of creators' Terms of Use.)

The following users thanked this post: miklin83

The following users thanked this post: miklin83

Offline mustluvcatz

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
Sharing patron-only (paid) CC is against Patreon's TOS, never mind the creator's TOU.

That said, it's also against Patreon's TOS to offer content that violates another person's intellectual property rights, which a lot of sims cc there does. (Or all of it does, depending on how you look at EA's EULA.)

The following users thanked this post: Kim, miklin83, mmekare79, Deestarr1234, Petunia Mae Witherbottom

The following users thanked this post: Kim, miklin83, mmekare79, Deestarr1234, Petunia Mae Witherbottom

Offline NuclearWaffles

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 09:36:30 AM »
Late reply, but selling Sims content is against EAxis EULA, yeah.  That doesn't stop people from doing it.

Patreon is basically there for like... if you want to donate you can, to support the costs incurred by the content creation process.  It's not there to be able to hold content hostage and only give it to patrons.

But then there's the tricky part: is re-uploading the Patreon user's paid content stealing? 

That's why I avoid that whole thing.

Online Kim

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »
I personally think it's wrong to charge people for custom content  ohewww

Offline NuclearWaffles

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 04:28:19 AM »
Same, Kim, same.  I've never charged for mine.  And even when I did put it on AdFly before it started giving people random viruses, I'd still make that optional and produce a completely free version on SFS.  But AdFly's just getting worse and worse with the malware so I don't touch even that anymore.

It was basically like "It's here if you wanna help buy me a coffee, but if you don't wanna deal with it, that's all good too."
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:31:55 AM by NuclearWaffles »

Offline mustluvcatz

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 08:30:31 AM »
Charging for custom content is against EA's TOS. I posted a chat screenshot on my tumblr a couple of days ago.

I have a donate button myself (well, a paypal.me link now) in case anyone ever feels like buying me a cup of coffee. Or chocolate. Donate buttons are fine since nobody is charging for custom content.