Author Topic: Who else is into Gardening and Houseplants?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Chris W.

Who else is into Gardening and Houseplants?
« on: April 17, 2016, 03:16:35 PM »
Yay,i`m so exited that Spring is finally here.Why,you ask?
Because i can finally put my new bought Seeds into two large Flower Pots on my Kitchen Windowsill (trust me,the View is boring,i only see the boring Backyard of the neighboring House and the grey painted Sidewalls,yuck!)
I love all kinds of climbing and creeping Plants.They grow so fast and look great.
This Year i`m trying Scarlet Runner Beans, Mexican Ivy and Mexican sour gherkins.
My Windows are all facing West,so they will get lots of Light....

It might still be a little to early for the Beans but in case second Half of April will be cold,i still have some spare Beans.

The following users thanked this post: Carrie

Offline instant-mess

Re: Who else is into Gardening and Houseplants?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
I have always wanted to garden, up I have a weird anxiety that springs up whenever I'm near dirt. Last year was the first year I was able to help my mother in the garden and I plan on doing more this spring and summer too :) I love how the plants grow and blossom into such pretty colours! I've also wanted to start a mini garden, but we have squirrels and rabbits here (even though I'm in a city of about half a million haha) that like to eat whatever we plant  :purpflowpot

Offline Carrie

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 05:51:27 AM »
I live on 2.5 acres of property that's just aching to grow into food!! So far, I've managed to get the following ready to grow:

Flowers:
1. Mexican Hat Daisies
2. Maiden Pinks
3. Roses (4 different colors)
4. Snowball Bush
5. Gardenia
6. Jack Frost
7. Hollyhocks
8. Tulips
9. Dutch Iris
10. Bleeding Hearts (native, not hybrid)
11. Azalea (which is actually a bush, classified as a tree, acts like a shrub - indecisive)
12. Grape Hyacinth
13. Foxglove
14. Stone Flower

Herbs:
1. Lavender (10 plants - I use a lot of it)
2. Roses (natives - I use for salads, oils, water extracts and flavor)
3. Dill
4. Peppermint
5. Chocolate Mint
6. Orange Mint
7. Lemon Balm
8. Lemon Thyme
9. English Thyme
10. Aloe

Veggies:
1. Yellow Onions
2. White Onions
3. Red Onions
4. Mexican Green Onions
5. Tokyo Long Green Onions (the kind you find at the market)
6. Broccoli
7. Green Bell Peppers (starters)
8. Red Bell Peppers (starters)
9. California Canary Bell Peppers (starters)
10. Purple Beauty Bell Peppers (starters)
11. Marketmore Cucumbers (starters)
12. Roma Tomatoes (starters)

Generally, by mid-June, I have well into 50 different types of plants (mostly fruits, vegetables and herbs), NOT including non-edible flowers and greens.

Two of my absolute favorite house plants are any variety of Pothos, and African Violet. They are super easy to propagate, and they're extremely hardy, and can usually tolerate a good variety of sub-climate conditions.

:englflow

Offline Chris W.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
Wow Carrie,sounds like there is a lot coming along in your Garden.A nice and well mixed Selection of Flowers,Herbs and Vegetables.
I would grow some of them too if i had a Balcony or something,especially those Market More Cucumbers.They taste better than the regular Salad Cucumbers (i like them too, of course)

For my little Window Garden i also planned on growing a few Coleous.I really love those colorful Leaves.I will keep some for me and will plant some nice ones on the Cemetery for my Mum,they were always her favorite Indoor Plants.

BTW,just in case i haven`t showed it already,this is how my Kitchen Window looks in Spring and Summer:

Thi one ws last Year.I had Clematis in the left Pot and some mixed Stuff (including Sunflowers as a Support for some climbing Plants like Hedge Bindweeds,Sweet Pea (Vetch) and Nasturdium)

The Clematis is already coming again.And as you can see in some Pictures,the View from the Kitchen Window isn`t that great at all.
BTW,the Flowerpot on the right was replaced this Year with a bigger Pot because the old one tends to fall over with large Plants in it...

The following users thanked this post: tahoe, Carrie

Offline kacicka777

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 08:33:04 PM »
 :c029:  It look really nice!

Offline Carrie

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 10:11:20 PM »
That's one heck of a window garden!! Beautiful!!

My secret though isn't that I really have a lot of open space (yet) to plant anything, but rather that I work at a nursery in the summer, and the owner allows me to use some of the available space there once my starter plants grow a bit bigger.

I love your window garden! It's just beautiful!

birdcage

Offline Chris W.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 04:02:39 PM »
Hey Guys,wanna see a little Update of my Window Garden?

It all started with a lot of Seeds finally growing into itty bitty Microplants....

That was from the 8th May

In 4 Days they went into a growing Spree.We had pretty warm and sunny Weather so the Seedlings could grow bigger and stronger

Finally my Fire Beans were coming

And guess what,today it is a freakin`Jungle out there:

See this little Pot?It`s a Clover Plant.They sell these little Cloverleafs around New Year,motly with a Pig or a little Chimney Sweeper on a Stick.
That Plastic Rubbish is the first Thing that flies into the Trashcan when arriving at Home.The same with glued on Googeley Eyes or Sombrero Hats attached with Needles right into a Cactus.I mean who does that?

Back to the little Cloverpot.I bought it 2 Years ago and it comes back to live every Year.But thatās not the main Attraction.See that little green Seedling righrt in the middle?That`s an Appleseed coming to live......

My Clematis is already shaping it`s first Blossoms.Still a bit crumbled,but they sure will be fine:

And this is my new favorite.Forgot the Name but it`s a real Beauty,this red Flower belongs to the green glossy Leafs in the Background that kinda lok like Ficus Leafs:

The following users thanked this post: Christobal, tahoe, Carrie

The following users thanked this post: Christobal, tahoe, Carrie

Offline Christobal

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 05:23:25 PM »
WOW Chris how lovely, I love gardens on small space.  BetsyRose

I have some shots from my balcony for you,
some tomatoplants and an idea to have rucola for the salad. hpypickle
A 10 liter bag of potting soil, a fruit crate and rucola or other herbs........hmmm yummy!

Offline Carrie

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 09:34:07 PM »
These are photos I took of the nursery I manage during the summer (it's my second job, but it's my favorite job of all). I have about 24 photos, but these are my favorites. I'll take photos of my garden at home tomorrow when I have time. Needless to say, both and I have a habit of rescuing anything that's still even slightly green. As a result, our habits have grown into near-literal forests on our properties. Thank the gods we both have large pieces of property from which to grow our forests on. ROFL
 :englflow

This is what you see when you first walk into the nursery. It's sandwiched between two of the oldest buildings in town. To the left is what's now the hardware store (originally, it was the St. Charles Hotel). To the right, is my third place of work, the local newspaper (which also happens to be California's oldest weekly newspaper), on the second floor, and on the first floor is the local beauty parlor and day spa.

This is what you see when you look to your immediate left of the entrance.

And, this is what you see when you look to your immediate right of the entrance.

The view from the entrance of the greenhouse, looking out towards the entrance.

"Farmer Brown" sitting around, holding up the bench....as usual. A local woman makes these custom-fit scarecrows for people's yards and businesses. This year, we got two!  YAY! Farmer Brown is one...

Mrs. Brown is the other: You'll notice that neither one of them are brown. Go figure. LOL

Finally, here's what the back of the nursery looks like. All of our larger items are back here, including (but not limited to): Fuji Apple trees, Red Delicious Apple trees, peach trees, birch trees, boxwood shrubberies and elm trees. We also have smaller 'baby' Japanese Maple trees in the front - all of which were hand grafted by the owner, and they're all more rare forms of the type of tree, specifically grown to be hardy in harsher winter climates.

The following users thanked this post: tahoe

Offline Belinda

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 12:18:42 AM »
Wow...these are lovely gardens !! Carrie you have a wonderful growing area there. I'm weird enough that I'd probably sit in there every day and read !

I have a small garden this year. A couple tomato plants, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, several types of peppers and a cucumber. We just ate some of the broccoli..anxious for the cucumbers !   hpypickle

Offline Carrie

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 12:58:56 AM »
Aww, thanks Belinda! That's just the nursery I work at, but you'd fit right in around these parts. During lunch time, most of our county workers come in to just absorb the air, mingle around the plants and have a brief 'zen moment'. LOL Me? It's totally one of my 'Zen Zones'. I love working there.
 snazzysnail

The following users thanked this post: Belinda

The following users thanked this post: Belinda

Offline Carrie

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 03:56:00 AM »
Ok, here's the photos I promise of my yard. This one is the first picture in the album.

Here's the album link: http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Carrie_Blakley/slideshow/House%20Garden%202016

Offline Chris W.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 08:03:33 AM »
Oh my,that Garden is absolutely gorgeous.
 I could totally see me sitting in the Garden and have a Conversation with Mr. And Mrs. Brown.
I love that everything kinda grows together in a slightly chaotic Way and not everything is lined up like in some sort of Plant Military.
It makes such a nice Scenery,like a painted Artwork with colors flowing into each other.
Will have to look at your Album later at Home because of limited mobile bandwidth.
Also I need to post new Pics of my Window.

The following users thanked this post: Belinda, Carrie

The following users thanked this post: Belinda, Carrie

Offline Belinda

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 06:43:54 PM »
Very beautiful Carrie ! I love nature...I could sit for hours and hours and soak it all up. I'll snap some photos of mine in a bit. :)

Offline Chris W.

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 07:49:19 PM »
I think it`s Time to post a little Update of how my Window Garden is looking now....well,it`s more of a Window Jungle now but who cares.

This is the View from inside my Kitchen.it`s not that Dark in RL,it was just because the Smartphone Camera was kinda blinded by the Sunlight from Outside:

A few brighter Pics

And one of my new favorite Plants,a red Dipladenia.I bought it a few Month ago in the Supermarket across the Street for only 2 Euros while the large REAL Superstore (think of it as a german Target or Walmart) sold a little bigger Plants for 6 Euro.I mean it`s a beautiful Plant but 6 Euro?Also,i enjoyed watching my little 2 Euro Dipladenia grow on its own into a 6 Euro Plant :D

A little Closeup with two small Indoor Plants photobombing.I love Plants with Patterns on their Leaves and i bought that Aralia a while ago when they were on Sale in the Supermarket for cheap (you know,already half dead,dried out and the Cashier looks at you like :"you really wanna buy this poor sad Pile of dry Leaves?Can`t you afford a real Plant?"
The Bowstring Hemp is another favorite Plant of mine.I remember that my Parents had huge Plants of them in the Livingroom.

You know these hopeless Cases where you just don`t know why you even put Work into this Plant?Well,this was a Devil`s Ivy from my Sister.The Plant was really tiny (one or two small Leaves) and it almost died away.But there was still a little Live left deep inside in that rotting Stick with a bit of caring and Sunlight,a new Plant is coming back to live...

And this is how my Kitchen Window looks from the Outside.The Nasturtium is literally flowing over the Window Sill and gives this Image a very Jungle like Appearance.

Hmmmm.....some of these Plants aren`t native to a Standard boring german Lawn....i must have dropped some Seeds or last Years Plants must have dropped a few Seeds onto the Lawn below my Window.
I can see a small Nasturtium growing  and some unknown climbing Plant Species.Also,compare that small lush Patch of Lawn with its Surroundings.Those Dandelions clearly grow better because i often spill Water when watering my Plants.

I hope you liked my newest Pictures.Feel free to comment.