Author Topic: DOTY 2016: Round 2 ~ Questions or Comments  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Takart

Re: DOTY 2016: Round 2 ~ Questions or Comments
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 05:36:44 AM »
MYn are all JFF entries..so can I give this a miss, I have 2 orders for paintings..Iv nearly finished 1 ..but im also still not feeling the best
I will definatly join in round 3
cant wait to see what all you guys come up with .. hearts

takartsims.tumblr.com

Offline Carrie

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 06:27:20 AM »
Maybe it's just me but none of the 'working' TS4 fireplaces have chimneys so I hope we aren't going to get docked for this. Do you want us to have the fireplace on so you know that it isn't just deco?

Also I have like two choices for fireplaces that fit the theme, lol. If there are more colonial style TS4 fireplaces I would love some links. I might also benefit from the TS2 finds as I might be able to con someone into converting one for me  lolol

ROFL! I totally do understand that. I'll try to find some TS4 fireplaces for you. I don't play TS4, but by golly, I'll do my best!
 kittymeowee
[/size]

Offline Ivyrose

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »
I didn't ask this for the previous round I didn't think it was important but is it OK to do my room in an existing house obviously using the floor plans required? Only in Sims 4 there aren't that many places to build lots to have them standing empty and basically I've got someone living in a house that I want to put the living room in. I find that I get better pictures if the house is occupied but don't want to be penalized if you can see bits of the other rooms in the overhead shot.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:36:06 PM by Ivyrose »

Offline tahoe

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 10:58:27 AM »
I also wonder if doors. I have not found any pictures of the doors so I do not know if they can be glass or not. Can I put a dining table? I thought you could use it to more than eating at.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 07:36:38 PM by tahoe »

Online 13pumpkin

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 11:06:39 AM »
BlueHopper, In build mode you can get a chimney and place it outside behind the fireplace and it functions as a working chimney. I did not realize this until I tried it. I had my Sims lite a fire and smoke came out of the chimney :)

The following users thanked this post: Ivyrose

The following users thanked this post: Ivyrose

Offline Michelle

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 01:56:05 PM »
I did this as well...but for whatever reason...it isn't showing in the OH shot...eh

Online 13pumpkin

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 03:46:39 PM »
So Michelle, you have become first to post...and what a fantastic entry it is!!

The following users thanked this post: Michelle

Offline tinhouse

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 03:51:40 PM »
Wow!  Ive just had a look at the first round entries as well, and they are incredible!   :flowheartpink

This round is going to be really interesting too!  Awesome theme, Carrie! xxx

The following users thanked this post: certain

Offline Michelle

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 04:03:42 PM »
Thanks Dawn!!  sitdog

Offline pikkonoloidlee

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 04:35:09 PM »
This is going to be such a challenge. I really hope I get it figured out, lol.

Good luck everyone!  pinkyay

Offline xoneirox

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 04:49:25 PM »
For anyone who may be wondering about the type of furnishings, textures, fabrics...and so forth, here are a few google image links for everyone so they can see just how varied this era truly was:

Furnishings:
 https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=767&q=coloial+american+furniture&oq=coloial+american+furniture&gs_l=img.3...1619.5440.0.5597.26.12.0.0.0.0.811.811.6-1.1.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..25.1.810.NCkzHX4Xwmg#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=colonial+american+furniture

[...]

Living Room (sans the electrical lighting):
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=767&q=coloial+american+furniture&oq=coloial+american+furniture&gs_l=img.3...1619.5440.0.5597.26.12.0.0.0.0.811.811.6-1.1.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..25.1.810.NCkzHX4Xwmg#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=historical+colonial+american+living+room

Thanks for the info Carrie. I really had no idea what colonial style looks like and I was panicking inside. It should be a challenge to find furniture in TS4 for this, but it is a great theme. The good thing with these contests is we can learn new things. :)

Offline certain

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 05:08:24 PM »
The overhead shot where we see the grid will show the exterior trim - thus, the chimney will be visible. Also, I requested it to be 'working' as a form of both the era, and the light source. You can build your own Colonial type fireplace and chimney, and simply use pre-lit logs (normally listed under lamps) as a type of light source.

A lot of the more primitive type Colonial fireplaces were also used as cooking areas, both in the kitchen, and the living area. As such, any type of larger fireplace that shows it is used for heating/lighting purposes is perfectly alright, so long as it's not modern.

If you're playing TS2, there are many colonial style fireplaces available throughout all the sites. I'll be more than happy to locate some if you'd like. :)

Let me know if you need any links. I'll post them in the WCIF thread for you for the DOTY Round 2 :)

Good luck!
 :thumbup:

I wasn't planning on having the fireplace lit...but now I'm wondering if that's a requirement.
As for the chimney, all Sims 2 players have to do is place a maxis fireplace, enable cheats, and delete the face of the fireplace. The chimney should stay and you can place whatever fireplace you want there.  I'm not worried about that as a Sims 2 player, but was wondering for Sims 4 entries because they have limited options.

Michelle: absolutely wonderful!

Offline Carrie

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 05:56:01 PM »
Lit is an option. We have judges that know if a TS3 or 4 fireplace is a working one, so that shouldn't be a problem.  :thumbup:

Online 13pumpkin

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 06:44:31 PM »
Holy Sims! Another entry...you guys are FAST! Beautiful certain!

Offline Deatherella

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 06:47:30 PM »
I think I hit cancel instead of post last night . . .

Carrie, may we please have a larger version of the color/texture samples on the bottom right of the theme info picture?
Thank you.

If you would like to see one of the houses built by one of my ancestors in the 1600's, check it out   http://www.stamfordhistory.org/hbh_tour.htm

I think the house would fit inside the room for our round. I thought I'd learn more about colonial homes and how they looked by checking out my ancestors. Most of the famous ones are from the late 1800's and more ostentatious than what this round calls for, though. Guess that's what happens when one's forefathers go from Puritans to Power.